6 Fun things to do during a full moon:
- Take a hike. Head to a natural area, away from city lights. You'll be able to walk around easily with only the bright luminescence of the moon, offering a whole new perspective on a nature walk. Imagine a moonlit walk along a lake, out in the desert, on a beach, through a meadow, or around your neighborhood.
- Kayak or canoe. Many outdoor companies are now offering moonlight bike rides, canoeing, paddle boarding, kayaking, etc. during the full moon. Check your local area for these special monthly outings, or head out with a friend! Even in our desert we can go kayaking in nearby Salton Sea http://seaanddesert.org/
- Sleep. Why take some blankets outside and fall asleep under the light of the moon. Moon nap in a hammock, or on a warm sandy beach or desert dune and connect with something greater.
- Sketch or journal. Once a month a group of us head out to a place in the desert, surrounded by mountains and we sketch by the light of the full moon. Sometimes we write poetry, sculpt with clay, or journal. But it is always something designed to engage our creative self, and always with the inspiration of the full moon to guide us.
- Howl. Howl, bark, or hoot at the moon. This may feel strange, but you might be surprised at what answers you back! This is a fun one to do as a family or with a group of kids and other willing participants. Best if done in a natural area, with plenty or wild habitat around. Add it to your full moon hike. While out in the desert at night, we decided to start howling and were pretty excited to hear coyotes howling back in the distance!
- Moon gazing and sky watching. Despite the bright light of a full moon, there are still some good sights to look for in the night sky. Practicing your start mapping, constellation finding & planet naming. Look for satellites. Best of all, use binoculars or a telescope to explore the surface of the moon, identifying geographical features from a moon guide book